Sunday, September 7, 2008

The adventures of Ethan and Adrienne...or why I shouldn't be left home alone

Ethan and I slept well last night after a crazy Saturday. Apparently I can't be left home alone! Byran left for New York City on Friday for a work conference. He left a few days early to have some fun. He enjoyed eating at some hole in the wall places in Chinatown with our friend Chris. He has to do this without me since I'm not a fan of eating stray cat and dog.
Anyway, I'm home alone with Ethan for the first time and I usually get a little paranoid and anxious the first night alone. I only lived by myself for six months before Bryan and I got married so I'm not used to all the quiet. So to make myself feel more secure I make sure I lock all the doors, even the one to our bedroom. The door to the backyard has two locks, one on the deadbolt and one on the doorknob, now usually we only lock the deadbolt, but I decided to lock them both. We made it through the night and the next morning Ethan was a little fussy so I decided to walk around in the backyard for a few minutes to calm him down. Mission accomplished, as usual he calmed down and we could go about our day...except that it might be a little hard since we were locked out of the house!
I realized when I walked outside I had unlocked the deadbolt, but not the doorknob lock. Apparently the door will open from the inside when it is still locked...who designs a lock like this???? After checking all the doors and windows (even though I knew I had locked them all the night before) I started thinking about my options...break a window, call a locksmith or call my sister who has a key. I decided to call my sister, Kristina, but of course I didn't have my phone, so with the clothes I had slept in on, including no bra and no make-up on, I walked over to a neighbor's house to use the phone. I could only remember two numbers (Bryan and my mom) since I don't have to because they are stored in my cell phone. After calling my mom we waited at the neighbor's house and I prayed Ethan wouldn't poop since I didn't have any diapers and could make without getting hungry although I am breastfeeding, so if needed I could sit in the backyard and feed him. My mom relayed what I had done and Kristina, Steve, Gracie and Scooter came to our rescue. My dad ended up coming over to help with Ethan and we all went out for lunch. For a day that started with being locked out of the house it turned into a great day with my family and one that I will look back and laugh about and one day tell Ethan about what his crazy mother did. Thanks again to my wonderful family who saved the day.

No comments: